At Ormiston Meadows Academy our vision is to give children a science curriculum which enables them to explore and discover the world around them, confidently, so that they have a deeper understanding of the world we live in.
The Science curriculum provides the foundations for understanding the world we live in. Science changes our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity. At Ormiston Meadows Academy our vision is to give children a science curriculum which enables them to explore and discover essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science through a clear progression of skills. Through building up a body of key foundational knowledge and concepts, pupils should be encouraged to respect the world around us and develop a sense of excitement and curiosity about natural phenomena. They should be encouraged to show excellence in understanding how science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave, and analyse causes.
As they move through the curriculum, students will be increasingly made to develop their curiosity, provide insight into working scientifically and appreciate the value of science in their everyday lives. Through the science curriculum a gateway into a wide range of career opportunities is opened building upon children’s self-worth and aspirations.
The key principles within the science curriculum are:
• To develop a knowledge rich curriculum, supported by high quality teaching, collaborative learning and the opportunity for students to demonstrate their understanding;
• Moments of awe and wonder to grasp children’s excitement and interest;
• Effective use of models to explain concepts;
• Development, understanding and use scientific language;
• The sequence of learning, including prior knowledge and next steps;
• Frequent ‘low stakes’ checkpoints that feedback into classroom planning;
• Links to other subjects as well as local and social context.
We believe that these opportunities and a tailored science curriculum will ensure that our children are resilient, life-long learners who will explore the world around them.